DBS, Safeguarding and First Aid
Coaches, Safeguarding Officers, Captains & Volunteers must have & renew safeguarding qualifications every 3 years
All volunteers (16+) who work with children require an ‘ECB’ DBS Check. DBS Checks from other sports or educational settings, are not valid in a cricket environment.
Club Safeguarding Officers require an in date DBS, Safe Hands certificate, Safeguarding & Protecting Children’s certificate. If this person is a qualified coach then a Safeguarding Young Cricketers certificate will be sufficient.
Coaches require an in date DBS, First Aid and Safeguarding Young Cricketers certificate.
Finally, all Captains (whether they have U18s playing in their teams or not) and Club Volunteers (who work with children), must have completed a valid and in date DBS check.
Safe Hands, Safeguarding & Protecting Children and First Aid Courses
|Safe Hands||Golden Hill||Thurs 24th Mar||6:30pm - 9:30pm||£40||FULLY BOOKED|
|Safe Hands||Frocester||Mon 28th Mar||6:30pm - 9:30pm||£40||Book|
|Safe Hands||Hambrook||Wed 30th Mar||6:30pm - 9:30pm||£40||FULLY BOOKED|
|Safe Hands||Gloucester||Wed 13th April||6:30pm - 9:30pm||£40||Book|
|First Aid||Hanham CC||Wed 30th March||6:30pm - 10:00pm||£40||Book|
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Checks
This applies whether you are a club, league, panel or another organisation. Legislation exists to ensure safer recruitment practices are followed, including DBS checks for those in regulated activity.
The roles in cricket that require an ECB Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check are:
All Stars / Dynamos Children’s Activator
Captain / Vice captain
Club Safeguarding Officer
Coach Support Worker
Junior Supervisor Juniors / Colts Manager
Strength / Conditioning Coach
All Stars / Dynamos Children’s Helper
Children Academy Director
Club Safeguarding Officer
League Safeguarding Officer
Personal Development Manager
Children’s Cricket Talent Scout
First Aid Responder
If you require an ECB DBS certificate, please contact Theresa Ellison (see below).
Once your application is initiated, you will receive an email with easy-to-follow instructions to help you make your application. There is a helpdesk function within the system. When the DBS have concluded their checks, you will receive a paper copy of your certificate in the post.
Training for Club Safeguarding Officers
Club Safeguarding Officers need to attend two sets of initial training:
- Safeguarding and protecting children course run by UK coaching
- ‘Safe Hands’ workshop which is run by the GCB
- Every three years, the three requirements above must be updated
We also run ‘Safe Hands Refresher’ courses for Safeguarding Officers who have completed the Safe Hands Course in the past.
Safeguarding Young Cricketers
Candidates will need to register onto the course, at which point they will receive a link by email to the online e-learning module along with their logon information.
Please contact Theresa Ellison (see below).
Please note that this course is only available to coaches undertaking ECB approved training courses and those renewing their existing safeguarding qualification.
Theresa Ellison / Administration Officer
- Helping to organise and set up the trials, winter nets programme and performance programme for the Girls and Boys Zonal squads
- Keeping club contact details up to date including checking that each club’s Safeguarding Officer has valid qualifications and initiate and verify DBS applications for club volunteers
- Administering online bookings including trials, winter nets programmes, Coach Development courses, holiday camps etc
- Helping with many financial activities by creating invoices, payment of bills, chasing outstanding debtors etc
- Help to create and run the office side of Coach Development
Theresa acts as the point of contact for many administrative parts of the Foundation.