Umpire CoursesFind and book your place on umpiring courses, and join the ECB Association of Cricket Officials (ACO)
Face-to-face umpiring training is back and the Gloucestershire Association of Cricket Officials (GACO) are getting in early in anticipation of a growing demand before the 2022 season.
We see officiating as one of the key areas of focus moving forward. We know that officiating numbers are on the decrease, this is a national trend. With this in mind, we are offering all courses completely free of charge in Gloucestershire.
The conditions to this are:
- Candidate sign up for course/s and pay the fee
- On completion, the GCB will issue a refund for the full amount to the candidate/ club if they are paying for it
- This is only available for people involved within Gloucestershire primary affiliated cricket clubs/ leagues
When you complete the online signup forms, please ensure you enter the correct cricket club you are involved in, there will be a drop down that asks you for ‘Play Cricket Club name’.
Course: Basics of umpiring
Course: It’s Your Call - Umpire Education Stage One
Individuals who complete this course will be eligible for full ECB ACO Membership. You will be required to complete the necessary forms (online) to obtain this.
- Under 16s will receive full membership immediately, which will continue until 18 (providing they remain an active member). An ECB DBS is required upon turning 16
- Over 16s will also receive free membership until they are 18*
- Over 18s receive their first year free*
*All over 16s will need an ECB DBS to secure full membership, but will be joined as Associate members until they are able to get the certificate. For more information on DBS’ please contact Chris Munden.
Stage One: Face to FaceSun 23rd January 2022
- Held at the Bristol County Ground between 9:30am and 5pm
Stage One: Face to FaceSun 6th March 2022
- Held at the Hatherley & Reddings between 9:30am and 5pm
Online Course: Stage OneAnytime
Course: It’s Your Call - Umpire Education Stage Two
It will complement that course by looking beyond the basic laws, build on field craft and match management techniques and introduce the concept of working, as a team, with a colleague.
Stage Two: Face to FaceSun 30th January 2022
- Held at the Bristol County Ground between 9:30am and 5.30pm
Stage Two: Face to FaceSun 13th March 2022
- Held at the Hatherley & Reddings between 9:30am and 5.30pm
Online Course: Stage TwoSun 6th Feb (5X Sessions)
- Held at Stroud CC between 10am and 12pm
Want to Stand?
If you are an umpire who is available and keen to get involved in umpiring throughout the county then please contact Dave Hull the Secretary of GACO.
Gloucestershire is always on the lookout for new umpires and we would be delighted to welcome new members.
Gareth Dawson / Workforce Development Officer
Additionally, he will support the Gloucestershire Association of Cricket Officials (GACO) in developing an Officials Strategy that aims to grow the number of officials across the game. Increase the number of courses that are available to potential officials and work with GACO to transition volunteers from ‘course takers’ to ‘standing officials’.
Support the Gloucestershire Grounds Association in developing a programme of activity that supports ground staff across each year. Coordinate and manage both national and local Reward and Recognition events for all groups of volunteers. On top of practical delivery in schools, he will work with teachers to enhance their cricket delivery and work with universities/colleges to provide opportunities for students to gain qualifications and coaching experience.
Gareth is a Liverpool FC fan, a big follower of cricket around the world and plays his cricket at Hatherley & Reddings.